Saturday, May 17, 2014

Day 3: More exploring Rome and walking all the way back

Really, really, REALLY glad I brought comfy shoes to Rome.
As I learned to do yesterday, I planned my sightseeing route a little better, ahead of time, and used two maps to make sure I didn't get lost.  I did get lost once though, and all I needed to do was turn around to find that I was too busy eating my gelato to notice I had passed the street I needed to venture down.

So today I had another wonderfully simple and delicious breakfast at 9:00 AM, a croissant with cherry jam, cherry tomatoes and espresso.  Two espressos actually.  Always two.  It was funny, the first time Stefano asked me if I wanted coffee, he then asked me "American coffee?"  I replied,
"No thanks, I would like something Italian."  And with a skeptical expression he said,
"I don't know if you would like our coffee.  It is a bit.... small, compared to what you're used to."  Then I told him,
"I'm tired of American everything, I want to know how you guys do it."  To be honest I like it better.  It is a tiny thing, the espresso.  Comes in a tiny cup, and only fills the cup about half way.  You typically just add sugar, I think.  The way it is served, in such concentration and in such moderation forces you to sip on it and enjoy it, less you be overwhelmed by the strength of the taste.  Such a foreign concept, for someone from a country that preaches materialism and screams "MORE IS MORE!"  It is a refreshing contrast.

Afterwards I worked on photos and updated the blog posts from the last two days with photos.  Pictures along with the words help illustrate the journey for all those who can't be here with me. This has been my morning routine, and it is intensive work, so ya'll better appreciate this stuff!

Around noon I went out into the world.  I went to the tabacchi shop across the street to buy a bus ticket only to find that it was closed for the day.  I had to remember that it was the weekend.  The date certainly does get away from me when I no longer run on a schedule.  So I decided to mull over what to do over lunch, and went to my favorite shop just down the street for a sandwich.  Turns out, I can buy metrebus tickets there too!  I bought my ticket and what I hesitate to call a burger.  I hesitate because it was swimming in grease when he cooked it up, had ciabatta bread for the bun and a nice layer of mozzarella cheese.  I think it's a disgrace to call it a burger, but I don't know what else to call it.  Anyways, I took it and my water down to Villa Torlonia and sat in the grass and the sun and enjoyed my lunch.  While I was there I got some more photos of the villa, a whole side that I hadn't even seen before, and stayed for a little while to listen to a live band play Italian pop/rock music as well as some American songs as well.

So it was around 1:30 PM by the time I actually got on the bus and headed into Rome.
I wasn't anxious about using the metrebus this time and knew exactly where I was going.  The monumental Altare della Patria was once again the first thing I shot.  I can't help it's so damn majestic and colossal.  I walked around to the right side instead of the left this time, right to Piazza del Campidoglio.  I wasn't missing out on walking up the long staircase and fully taking in everything in the piazza this time.  Too bad I can't tell all the people to go away, I would have loved to have shoot that place without the congestion, but I'm sure every photographer there was thinking that same thing.  Perhaps I will go to into downtown Rome tonight and see these places lit up.  Probably not though, and the reason will be apparent soon.

After Campidoglio I headed towards the Pantheon, passing on my way a few places Stefano had suggested I go see on my map.  On the way I passed Santa Maria in Campitelli (or Santa Maria in Porticoa church dedicated to the Virgin Mary, if you're into that sort of thing.  Was still very beautiful), Piazza Mattei, Area Sacre (an ancient ruins site which was the home to a bunch of cats, how bizzare), and a street called Via Florida (and stupidly forgot to get a photo of the street plaque...).

The Pantheon was very busy, as I should have guessed would be the case on a Saturday.  I asked someone if tickets were required to enter, and he responded "I don't speak English."  So I asked another person, and they told me that tickets are not required, but that there was some sort of mass going on.  It seemed odd to me that a mass would be held in a building which was built in dedication to the gods of Roman mythology and literally translates from Greek to mean "all the gods."  The crowd outside was quite large and no one was getting in, so I took photos from the outside and decided to save going inside for another time.  There will be other chances to visit in the coming weeks.

I then ventured over to Piazza Navona and enjoyed a street performing comedian.  Dr. Murphy, our faculty leader on my study abroad trip, wasn't kidding when she said look out if you stand close to the edge of the circle, as he pulled maybe 5-6 people over the course of his act.  But he was really funny and barely spoke during the performance, everything was acted out and done with props.  The children he volunteered were great because he would make them run around or do stupid things.  I want to explain everything he did, but I know that my recount of it wouldn't be nearly as good as seeing it in person.  He was hilarious though, so if you are ever in Rome take the time to watch these street performances, they are well worth your time.  Not like I had anywhere I needed to be anyways!  

While in at the piazza I went into Sant'Agnese in Agone, a beautiful 17th-century church which contains the skull of Saint Agnes within a shrine.  There were many beautiful sculptures and paintings, created by many different people.  The alters, except the high alter, have marble reliefs dedicated to various martyrs depicting the circumstances of their deaths.  Bernini's protege also did some of the paintings in the church.  It was extremely beautiful, I wish I could have gotten a few snapshots, but I didn't want to get thrown out or in trouble for sneaking a photo.

Afterwards I continued along my path, stopping by some more places Stefano had suggested.  next up was Piazza San Pantaleo and Piazza della Cancelleria, where I bought my first gelato since being in Italy.  I had a most of terror when I almost dropped it right off the cone, which would have been sad.  Luckily I caught it on the side of the cone and managed to lick it back into place.  And in all of this I walked right on past the street I needed to go down to reach Campo de Fiori, which was the only time I got lost today!  The campo was largely a market, something I wasn't interested in, but I did manage to get some shots of the Statue of Giordano Bruno.  Next I ventured to Palazzo Farnese and Palazzo Spada and then headed back to Piazza Venezia to head on back, having walked my route and gotten around 600 photos.

Throughout my adventure today I noticed large pockets of Carabinieri and Polizia di Stato in various parts of Rome.
At first I thought they were just there because it was a tourist area, but there were many places where there would be 2-3 cars or trucks and between 8-10 armed law enforcement officers just hanging around.  If you tried to ask them anything they all responded in perfect English "I don't speak English."  I didn't do it, but I saw it happen 4 or 5 times today.  It was peculiar, but I just assumed it was business as usual.

But when I returned to Piazza Venezia I realized why.  There was a demonstration, or a protest going on where lots of people had flags and banners, and leading the way was a very loud car blasting music and giving voice to what appeared to be the voice of the movement.  There were various sorts of flags and there appeared to be more than one group of people walking together, like a parade.  I was able to ask one person what was going on, and he said that the people were voicing their disapproval on matters like oil in the oceans, lack of money given toward public works, and a few other social issues I can't remember.  The law enforcement was there to block off certain sections of street and direct the movement as they paraded down the streets.  So I had a field day with what room on my camera I had left photographing the protesters and the police.

Unfortunately, some of the places the police had blocked off were the entrances into Piazza Venezia, and so there were no buses coming in or going out.  The only way I knew to get back to where I was staying was officially cut off.  My options were to take a taxi or find the bus outside the barrier.  So I started my walk back, trying my best to find and follow the main roads the buses drove on.  After a while of not seeing my bus (#60, the only one I knew would take me down Via Noventana), and not even having a bus ticket in the first place, I kept on walking.  And walking.  And walking.  All the way till I got back to the room.  I have routed the path that I took on Google Maps, and in total I walked 4.9 km, which is roughly 3 miles.  It felt like more though.  Rome's huge buildings made me feel like I walked much farther than the same distance from my apartment to the UNF campus, but hey I didn't invent distance.  I can say that I have a greater appreciation and better understanding of the size of Rome now.  Those water spout things sure did come in handy, you can in fact drink the water!


The route I took walking from Piazza Venezia to my room.  4.9 km which took about 1 hour 45 mins to walk.
So, again, I am very exhausted.
But it has been yet another fulfilling and adventurous day.  I'm glad I have been able to get a full three days out of my pre-study abroad time in Rome, the city is lovely and I'm glad that when the study abroad trip starts I will not be completely new to Italian culture.

Alright, I've had my panini for dinner and got started on this blog entry early so that I can actually get to bed in a reasonable time.  Tomorrow I meet up with my study abroad group at the airport, so it is a bright and early day tomorrow.  Photos will have to wait for a little while, probably within the next few days I will be able to work on them, or tomorrow evening, I'm not sure yet.

I hope everyone's summer is going well and that everyone is having fun.  I miss my friends back home and in the Bahamas, and wish a few of you could be here to see all this with me.

Buonanotte a tutti.  Goodnight everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment